clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

West Philly, Fishtown Buildings Deemed Historic

New, 2 comments

More historic plaques will be popping up in Philly. Last week the Philadelphia Historical Commission added a number of locations in West Philly and Fishtown to its registry of historic places, reports PlanPhilly. In addition to the Byberry Cemetery, which was established by the Quakers as a burial ground for African-Americans, these are the four buildings that made the cut.

The Edward Corner Building has sat at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Shackamaxon Street in Fishtown since 1921. Core Realty, which owns the three-story property, previously toyed with the idea of demolishing the marine-merchandise warehouse and building townhomes in its place.


This set of rowhomes on the 3600 block of Lancaster Avenue in Powelton Village was constructed in the late 1860s and early 1880s in similar Italianate architectural styles. According to the proposal, some of the homes were occupied by "persons significant in the past," including prominent painter J. Harry Saylor and notorious fugitive-criminal James A.L.Wilson.

These twin homes located at 4300-02 Osage Avenue in University City were built between 1871 and 1877 during the Satterlee Heights Development era. The property features a wrap-around porch and is a prime example of the Second Empire style of architecture during that time.


Philly architect Frank Furness designed this residence on 2176-78 E. York Street in Fishtown circa 1886. It served as the residence and office for Dr. Thomas Schriner, who settled here after serving in the Union Army during the Civil War.

· West Philly and Fishtown properties added to historic register [PlanPhilly]