A beautiful, stone home in Mt. Airy’s French Village that dates back to the 1920s has come to the market after undergoing some key upgrades in the last few years.
Today, the six-bedroom, six and a half bath home has a bright and airy new kitchen, renovated in 2014, and an impressive master bathroom with a claw-foot tub and large walk-in closet. But its history starts in 1924, when it was designed by noted local architect Robert McGoodwin.
McGoodwin was commissioned by developer George Woodward to design the stone Tudor. Woodward was the top real estate developer in the area at the time, and built a Normandy-style enclave called the French Village along Elbow, Gate, and Allens lanes between 1924 and 1929.
McGoodwin was one of the handful of architects who consistently worked with Houston and Woodward on their projects. For this home, the designer incorporated French doors in every room on the first floor. Those doors, as well as other original details like a slate roof, hardwood floors, built-ins, and deep-set window sills remain to this day.
The 4,716-square-foot home sits on 0.62 acres and is on the market for $1,550,000.
- 7304 Elbow Lane [Christopher Plant, Elfant Wissahickon-Chestnut Hill]