A new, 499-room hotel opened this week in the 100-year-old historic City Hall Annex building.
The hotel, fittingly called “The Notary,” revolves around the theme of notarization—or a “stamp of approval”—with offerings like a custom seal stamped onto guests’ card sleeves, and a retail store with local products that the hotel staff have given, “the Philadelphia Stamp of Excellence,” according to a statement from the hotel.
The theme is also a nod to the annex’s history. Designed by Philip Johnson and built in 1926, the annex was originally where Philadelphians would go to get official documents notarized. Designed in the Classical Revival style, the building has large stone archways on the first floor and columns on the exterior of the building. It was home to a Courtyard by Marriott hotel prior to its renovation into The Notary.
Inside the new space, expect to find some of the original details from The Annex as well as some upgrades, including marble floors, chandeliers and bronze molding. It also has 11,000 square feet of conference space across 12 event rooms, and one 3,000-square-foot ballroom. Finally, there’s a La Colombe on site, as well as the Spanish restaurant, Sabroso + Sorbo.
Check out photos of the hotel’s interior below.